Sunday, January 20, 2019

Family Law Commission Public Hearing: The Epitome of Legislative Apathy






On January 24, 2019 7:00 pm at Legislative Hall inside the Senate Chambers, the Family Law Commission will have its annual Public Hearing.
The fifteen member Commission is comprised of Chairman Esq. Curtis Bounds, four State Legislators: Representative Stephanie Bolden, Representative Michael Ramone, Senator Stephanie Hansen and Senator Dave Lawson, Capitol Police Detective Lawrence Britt, Dr. Twain Gonzales, Esq. Kelly Huff, Family Court Judge Peter Jones, Ms. Lynn Kokjohn, Ms.Raetta McCall, Dr. Diana Metzger, James Morning, Aimee Stringer and (Retired) Family Court Judge William Walls.
The purpose of this annual event is to allow constituents to voice their feelings regarding their experience with Family Court hear from the constituency for the purpose of improving the Family Court operations and system.

While living in Delaware, I attended my first Commission meeting in January, 2010--just two weeks after my second false arrest for allegedly violating a protection order issued in the Family Court. Over the next two years, as an innocent man , I would be subjected to nine false arrests, five PFA's, four violation of PFA's, homelessness (Dover Men's Homeless Shelter), and parental alienation; and I would spend the next two years attending every Family Law Commission Public/ Private Meeting, every legislative domestic violence and family law related meeting available. I did all of these things to sound the alarm on the state sanctioned atrocities that were being conducted with impunity.
For the next two years, my attempts  would fall upon deaf ears, until a miracle occurred:

Redemption
On August 28, 2012, the sociopath who had made false allegations into a perverted art form, moments, after having her fifth fraudulent protection order issued against me, walked out of a Family Court and perpetrated her most deranged attempt at having me put away for a long time.
According to police reports: She called DAG Kenneth Haltom to let him know the PFA was granted (I know, very strange). She then proceeded to mark her body with a sharp object, used a blue eye liner to write my initials and profanity laced words, stating I would kill her for getting another PFA on me, and drove out to a road adjacent to a gated community , laid on the side of the road until a passerby stopped to call 911.
With guns drawn, law enforcement officers arrested me in the Camden Texas Roadhouse parking lot.

One thing she failed to factor in:
Just days prior, I was court ordered to wear a GPS Ankle Bracelet. This electronic device proved to be the angel of deliverance. It showed I was nowhere near her when this fraudulent attack allegedly took place.
After two hours in a holding cell, I was released. On September 1, 2012, the sociopathic, serial, state sponsored false allegations artist was arrested for filing false police reports and lying to police.

Yes, I was completely vindicated and exonerated. Every criminal charge was officially expunged from my record, at the State of Delaware's expense.
Thankfully, I no longer live in Delaware. However, like many traumatic experiences, it remains a surreal nightmare buried inside the psyche.

Is my experience an anomaly? Certainly not, not by any stretch of the imagination.
The statements of the following Delaware state officials refute that notion:

Former Family Law Commission Chairperson Senator Liane Sorenson -
"One of our problems that has come up repeatedly to the Commission from the public has been the filing of false Protection from Abuse orders."
"The public has asked why people get away with claiming abuse when it didn't happen."
(Family Law Commission meeting April 17, 2008)

Family Law Commission Chairperson Lynn Kokjohn -
False allegations of sexual abuse have become the weapon of choice for mothers seeking to alienate their childrens father in custody cases."
(Delaware State News - April 9, 2010)

Chief Family Court Judge Chandlee Kuhn - 
"I know there are abuses made (in the PFA system)
"Unfortunately, the people who are domestic violence advocates are reluctant to give up or make any changes."
(Family Law Commission meeting May 13, 2010)

Delaware Secretary of Family Youth and Childrens Services 
Vivian Rapposelli - "PFA's are often used as pawns in divorce cases." 
(Delaware State News - April 19, 2010)

Its not that the Family Law Commission or the Legislative Branch of the State government is unaware of the atrocities that continue unabridged, the problem is they are in bed with the agencies and officials who have financial incentive to maintain the status quo and respond to false allegations as a non-issue rather than the cottage industry that it has become within the State government. I do want to point out however, Raetta McCall, James Morning, Senator Dave Lawson and Representative Mike Ramone have attempted to be voices for reform see their efforts as a threat to their tax payer cash flow to their respective state agencies.

So, in closing,another Legislative session rolls around and I can assure you two things:
1) Not one other Legislator other than the individual legislators who sit on the commission will attend the Public Hearing.
2) There will be no Legislation introduced to reform a system that rewards and encourages false allegations. Business as usual.

Gordon Smith
Port Orange, Fl. (Former Delaware Resident)

No comments:

Post a Comment